Baking Essentials | Introduction to Basic Baking Tools and Equipment | Hugh Bake It

 Unlock the World of Baking Essentials!

Hey there, baking buddies! 🎂 Ever wondered what you need to kickstart your baking journey? We're about to spill the flour, sugar, and everything in between on basic baking tools and equipment.


These tools are what I personally started investing in. I will also share tips on what tools to buy to save you from frustrations and unnecessary expenses. Plus, I'll provide a link to where I bought my affordable, preferred set of tools. Let's start!


1. Measuring Cups and Spoons

Precision is the secret ingredient to baking success. When the recipe calls for 1 cup, you need to measure exactly 1 cup, spooned and leveled, following the procedure's specifications. Each measuring spoon and cup has its own proportions, so don't substitute a coffee cup for 1 cup or estimate 1/2 a spoon with your regular table spoon. This could alter the texture, taste, or the entire outcome of your baking. Measuring cups and spoons come in various materials like plastic, metal, or a combination of both. It's best to avoid the combination type as they tend to separate over time, especially when handling heavy ingredients like flour or sugar. Metal cups can conduct heat, making them uncomfortable to hold when working with hot ingredients. I recommend plastic measuring cups with good-quality, continuous construction. They are heat-resistant and work well for various tasks. If you have the budget, metal cups are an option, but avoid very cheap ones as they can rust, which is not safe for your food.



2. Mixing Bowls

These are the heart of your baking operation. You can use any bowl you have in your kitchen, but I recommend having separate bowls for baking and other purposes like marinating meat or fish. My favorite type is made out of metal as it also helps in bringing ingredients to room temperature. How many do you have, and what's your go-to size?



3. Whisk and Spatula

A dynamic duo for mixing and folding. I recommend a 13" tall whisk if your budget allows only one. It works well for small amounts of liquids and can handle a bowl of batter. Investing in a high-quality whisk is wise, as they tend to last longer in your kitchen. Thin-wired whisks are suitable for eggs and liquidy batters, while thicker wires work better for chocolate cake or cookie batter. For spatulas, there are two types: silicon or rubber spatulas and icing spatulas. I recommend silicon spatulas covered with silicon. They are heat-resistant, easy to clean, and hygienic. One of the key reasons I prefer 100% silicon coverage is that other spatulas tend to detach from their handles over time. This often results in some batters getting stuck in the crevices between the handle and the rubber, which can be challenging to clean and is unhygienic. For the icing spatula, choose a size comfortable for your hand if you can only buy one, although having different sizes can be useful. This is actually my favorite tool!

Tip: Consider buying a hand mixer if you plan on making a lot of cakes.


4. Baking Pans

There are various types of baking pans available, ranging from cupcakes to brownies, each in different shapes and sizes. If you have the means to acquire all these sizes, that's great. However, if you're on a budget, it's essential to determine the type of baked goods you intend to make or offer. If you plan to bake cupcakes, muffins, or tarts, consider purchasing cupcake pans. On the other hand, if your focus is cakes and primarily other pastries, I recommend rectangular-shaped pans. Be sure to measure the inside dimensions of your oven to ensure your baked goods or baking pans fit comfortably. If your budget allows and you're concentrating on offering cakes, consider investing in round pans that are both thick and smooth. These pans not only simplify cleaning but also eliminate the need to trim excess cake from the corners. What's your all-time favorite?


5. Oven

I recommend a 100L convection oven from Kyowa (not sponsored). It's affordable and of good quality. Perfect for baking for family and friends, or starting your baking business. If your orders grow larger, consider upgrading to a commercial-grade oven. It's also wise to have a backup plan for power interruptions. In our area, power outages are common, so I keep a gas oven as a backup to ensure my cakes don't remain uncooked.



6. Oven Thermometer

Ensures your treats bake to perfection. It's important to have this device since not all ovens have the same temperature (though, they should). Based on my observations, 180C in a small oven is hotter compared to 180C setting in a bigger oven. This is due to the fact that a small oven circulates heat more efficiently compared to bigger ovens where it would take some time. For instance, 10 minutes of baking time for cookies in an oven toaster is equivalent to 20 minutes of baking time in my 100L oven. It's important to get to know your oven and make it your best friend. Do you trust your oven's temperature settings?





7. Cooling Rack

Let your goodies cool down gracefully. If you don't have a cooling rack, you can use the drawers of a spare oven or a metal tray with parchment paper. Where do you place your baked goods after they come out of the oven?



8. Parchment or Baking Paper

A lifesaver for preventing sticky situations. It's important never to run out of this. Greasing your pans doesn't always work, and parchment paper is a great alternative. Not all brands work well, so I recommend Diamond Cooking & Baking Paper and Non-stick Baking Paper (again, not sponsored). They are suitable for various baked goods, and you can use them multiple times, making them cost-effective. How about you? Have you ever run out in the middle of baking? 



9. Rolling Pin

A must for pie crust and cookies. I use rolling pin mostly on bread and fondant. Before I was able to afford a rolling pin, I used clean, long, glass bottles to roll my bread. I recommend a traditional rolling pin because it’s easier to use and will not hurt your palm. I prefer marble because in our area where humidity is high, woods get moldy easily. Wood also has these scent when they get wet which I don’t feel comfortable. Do you prefer wooden or marble?



10. Dough Cutter

This works wonders for me. From baking bread to decorating cakes, it has become my trusty companion. While I often use a sharp knife for cutting dough, when it comes to making my cake icing smooth and sleek, this tool is perfect for the job. I highly recommend the metal one because, at times, when the icing doesn't cooperate, I simply dip it in boiling water or apply direct heat with fire, and my icing becomes smooth and straight again.



Here is the link to where I bought my baking tools: Hugh Bake It Tiktok and click my yellow basket

Now that you've had a taste of these baking essentials, which one's your go-to tool in the kitchen? Share your thoughts and tips in the comments below!


#BakingEssentials #BakingTools #BakingTips #HughBakeIt

Remember, every great baker started with the basics. Mastering these essential tools will set you on the path to baking success. Do you have any favorite tips or tools that have made your baking journey easier? Share your experiences in the comments below, and let's keep the baking conversation going! 🍰✨